Brooklyn tech death savages Pyrrhon have a solid reputation here at HBIH, proven easily by our stellar review of their sophomore album The Mother of Virtues and its #35 spot on our Top 50 Albums of 2014 list. Unfortunately, this sentiment was not shared by Relapse Records, as the band announced yesterday via Facebook that they have been dropped by the label due to the lack of commercial success that TMoV has received. This news was softened by an additional announcement that the band will be releasing an EP of new material – entitled Growth Without End (artwork above) – later in the year. Head past the jump to read the band’s statement and check out the track listing for the EP:
GOOD NEWS / BAD NEWS TIME:
The bad news is that Relapse Records have terminated their contract with Pyrrhon and will not be working on our next LP. The given reason for their decision was that The Mother of Virtues has not proven commercially successful, which will surely come as a major shock to anyone who’s heard it. Our split with Relapse will not affect our upcoming European tour plans next month.
The good news: we will release GROWTH WITHOUT END, a new EP, on June 2, 2015. That’s the cover art you’re looking at. Written and recorded in the aftermath of the TMoV sessions, and handled by the same team (Ryan Jones on tracking/mixing; Colin Marston on mastering; Caroline Harrison on art/layout), it is our fastest, scabbiest material to date. GROWTH WITHOUT END will come out on vinyl & digital via Handshake Inc., whom you may know through their great work with the likes of Gridlink, Rwake, Sulaco, and Couch Slut. We will be joining another Handshake band for a limited number of out-of-town live appearances in support of the EP before commencing work on our next batch of material. Dates & details TBA.
GROWTH WITHOUT END:
1. Cancer Mantra
2. Forget Yourself
3. The Mass
4. Viral Content
5. Turing’s Revenge
While the loss of support from a label like Relapse is unfortunate, it is relieving to see that Pyrrhon seem unfazed and have yet another slab of unrelenting tech death to reward its fans with. As is stated above, no further release information is available at this time, but HBIH will post an update once it is made available.
Additionally, the band’s European tour mentioned in the above post will feature support from Department of Correction, with dates being as follows:
– Friday 10 April : PARIS @ Cirque Electrique
– Saturday 11 April : POLTIERS @ TBA
– Sunday 12 April : TOURS @ Canadian Cafe
– Monday 13 April : TOULOUSE @ Pavillons Sauvages
– Tuesday 14 April : MONTPELLIER @ Secret Place
– Wednesday 15 April : CLERMONT FERRAND @ Raymond Bar
– Thursday 16 April : SAINT ETIENNE @ L’Assomoir
– Friday 17 April : BOURG EN BRESSE @ La Tannerie
– Saturday 18 April : BERN @ Caffette
– Sunday 19 April : TÜBINGEN @ Epplehaus
– Monday 20 April : LIÈGE @ Katari Jungle
– Tuesday 21 April : LONDON @ Unicorn
– Wednesday 22 April : LEEDS @ Temples of Boom
– Thursday 23 April : NEWCASTLE @ Northumberland Arms
– Friday 24 April : BOLTON @ Alma Inn
– Saturday 25 April : PLYMOUTH @ Tiki Bar
And if you’ve forgotton how intense and great the band are, watch Pyrrhon perform ‘Invisible Injury’ live below.