In a bit of awesome, if unsurprising news; early Saturday morning it was announced that the one-man black metal project Burzum — helmed by the ever controversial Varg Vikernes — is slated to release his tenth full length studio album in May of this year on Byelobog Productions. Vikernes has been cranking out an album a year since 2009, and even before that he was a pretty steady musician, so this news shouldn’t come as much of a surprise to those who follow the man’s music. Never one to draw these things out, Vikernes has saw fit to not only release the name of this album, Umskiptar (Metamorphoses in English), but he has also made available the cover art, tracklisting, and lyrics of the new album. One could call it fan service, but it’s most likely Vikernes trying to avoid the usual media run-around that ensues when albums are announced.
You can view the tracklisting below, and the album art above. The lyrics for this endeavor are apparently taken from a Norse poem, Völuspá. You can find them and the full announcement about Umskiptar at the official Burzum website.
- Blóðstokkinn (Soaked in Blood) (1:16)
- Jóln (Deities) (5:51)
- Alfadanz (Elven Dance) (9:22)
- Hit helga Tré (The sacred Tree) (6:51)
- Æra (Honour) (3:58)
- Heiðr (Esteem) (3:02)
- Valgaldr (Song of the Fallen) (8:03)
- Galgviðr (Gallow Forest) (7:16)
- Surtr Sunnan (Black from the South) (4:14)
- Gullaldr (Golden Age) (10:20)
- Níðhöggr (Attack from Below) (5:00)