In true metal fashion, here’s my long winded poorly done albums of the year! We’ll start with the honorable mentions and count down from there and lead in to the special “non-metal” section. Get ready for my unrestrained and chaotic cluster fuck of stuff you should hear.
Decimation – Anthems of an Empyreal Dominion
Cerebral Bore – Maniacal Miscreation
Human Filleted – Blunt Force Embludgeonment
Cease of Breeding – Sounds of DisembowelmentParasitic Extirpation – Casketless
Fleshgod Apocalypse – Mafia
Immolation – Majesty and Decay
Inherit Disease – Visceral Transcendence
Goretrade – Mistaken Conception
Age of Taurus – In the Days of the Taurean Empire…
Formless – 2010 Demo
The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza – Danza III: The Series of Unfortunate Events
Katalepsy – Your Fear Is Our Inhabitance
Cerebral Effusion – Impulsive Psychopathic Acts
Sinister – Legacy of Ashes
Pathology – Legacy of the Ancients
Short Bus Pile Up – Repulsive Display of Human Upholstery
Vomtious – Surgical Abominations of Disfigurement
Incantation – Scapegoat
Wormed – Quasineutrality
High on Fire – Snakes for the Divine
Autopsy – The Tomb Within
Spiritual Beggars – Return to Zero
Hooded Menace – Never Cross the Dead
Dodsengel – Mirium Occultum
Mormânt de Snagov – Rise from the Void
Ihsahn – After
Triptykon – Eparistera Daimones
Judgement Day – Peacocks/Pink Monsters
The Abominable Iron Sloth – The Id Will Overcome
Sarcolytic – Thee Arcane Progeny
Winterfylleth – The Mercian Sphere
Pensées Nocturnes – Grotesque
28. Hour of 13 – The Ritualist
27. Lair of the Minotaur – Evil Power
26. Gallowbraid – Ashen Eidolon
25. Blut Aus Nord – What Once Was… Liber I
24. Agalloch – Marrow of the Spirit
23. Hail of Bullets – On Divine Winds
22. Dawnbringer – Nucleus
21. Burzum – Belus
20. Internment – Into the Crypts of Blasphemy
19. Brutally Deceased – Dead Lovers’ Guid
18. Solefald – Norrøn Livskunst
17. Acid Witch – Stoned
16. Arckanum – Sviga Lae
15. The Meads of Asphodel – The Murder of Jesus the Jew
14. Weapon – From the Devil’s Tomb
13. The Lord Weird Slough Feg – The Animal Spirits
12. Darkthrone – Circle the Wagons
11. Black Witchery – Inferno of Sacred Destruction
10.Cauchemar – La Vierge Noire
Ah, the top 10. The very best of the very best. This one opens up with a trad heavy metal album but with a twist. The vocalist has boobs, and she knows French. Crazy, right?
9.Witchsorrow – Witchsorrow
Another rifftastic and heavy trad doom album, but this time they actually are from England!
8. Züül – Out of Time
Züül bring the trad riffs, and plenty of them. This album will get you headbanging at full power before you even realize it.
7. Briton Rites – For Mircalla
As their name suggests, this album keeps doom alive in true heavy English style.
6. Ghost – Opus Eponymous
This album came out of nowhere. I had their Demo and the Elisabeth single, but when I finally got my hands on this full length I was blown away. They understand their cheese but they work it so well.
5. Inquisition – Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm
Inquisition continue their reign of gr1m kvltness . This album has more black metal riffage than the untrve can handle.
4. Boris – BXI
Boris are another one of my all time favorites. This time, they team up with well known vocalist Ian Astbury to create a straight forward heavy rockin’ album.
3. Defeated Sanity – Chapters of Repugnance
Possibly the most brutal album in existence. This is the future of brutal death.
2. Electric Wizard – Black Masses
As one of my favorite bands, Electric Wizard have always brought the riffs and the engulfing albums. This album is no exception. They delve further into the occult influenced psychedelia and create a perfect unintoxicated trip.
1. Bongripper – Satan Worshipping Doom
This album snuck into my #1 spot maybe a week ago after I had expected Chapters of Repugnance or Black Masses to hold this down for sure. These guys are just so good at heavy doom riffs that I couldn’t be stopped. In usual Bongripper fashion, it contains many atmospheric and experimental qualities even for being their attempt at a more straight forward doom release.
Non-Metal (only for the trve)
20. She & Him – Volume Two
19. Excision – Shambhala Mix 2010
18. John Zorn – The Goddess (Music for the Ancient of Days)
17. Truth – Puppets
16. Jaga Jazzist – One-Armed Bandit
15. Integrity – The Blackest Curse
14. Human Demise – The Odditorium
13. Snowing – I Could Do Whatever I Wanted if I Wanted
12. Alcoholic Faith Mission – Let This Be The Last Night We Care
11. Kaki King – Junior
10. IROTTO+ & Shelling – Before Time Melts
9. Primus – June 2010 Rehearsal
8. Deftones – Diamond Eyes
7. Michael Formanek – The Rub and Spare Chang
6. Malory – Pearl Diver
5. Rudresh Mahanthappa & Bunky Green – Apex
A traditional jazz release based on the incredible talent and writing ability of Rudresh and Bunky on the alto sax, with a killer backing band to keep the chops and grooves fresh as can be.
4. Punch – Push Pull
If you don’t know Punch, you don’t know powerviolence.
3. Masakari – The Profit Feeds
This album is original crust punk aggression, it doesn’t let up until the last song which puts the pressure down in an emotional way.
2. NAILS – Unsilent Death
Pure, angry, relentless, and crusty hardcore.
1. Christian McBride – Kind of Brown
Topping my non metal list off, is the new effort from renown jazz bassist Christian McBride. This guy has been everywhere, from Herbie Hancock to Chick Corea. His grooves are unstoppable on this monster of a bass album.
That was my year in review. Have fun folks.